For the past few months, I've been working on an update to the design and content of my website. Unlike past updates, I decided to make incremental changes to arrive at a completely new look and feel. Now that the major aspects of this update are complete, I'd like to show you some of the features and invite you to help me test the functionality, update the content, and spread the word.
Here's a summary of some of the changes:
- Look and Feel: Since much of the site focuses on my work as Real Life Superhero, I decided to go for a bit of a comic book look and feel. I didn't go all out with this idea, but I did use a dot background, square blocks, and black borders as a tribute to the panels and printing style of a comic book.
- Comments: You can comment on blog entries now by logging in via Facebook. So far, this works fine for me, but I'd like to see some of my Facebook friends test this out and let me know if they encounter any problems.
- Mission: This talks about my superhero mission, including a personal mission statement and links to my Causes page and other Real Life Superhero sites.
- Origins: This tells my superhero origin story, including a short version, long version [still under development], poetic version, and the origin of my name, Treesong.
- Media: This lists references to me in local and regional media sources. There are additional ones I haven't put on here yet, so if you know where I can find links to any of these, feel free to give me a heads up.
- Heroes: This describes a few of the people who have inspired my own hero's journey. It only has a handful of people so far, but I plan on adding new ones whenever I think of them.
- Documentary: This features a short documentary about my superhero work by SIU cinema student Chris O'Malley.
- Radio Show: This links to the website and podcast to Your Community Spirit, the show that I cohost with Aur "Da Energy Mon" on WDBX 91.1 FM in Southern Illinois.
- Poetry: This is a list of my recent and past poetry. I perform poetry locally at Transpoetic Playground, an open mic that happens once every two weeks at Global Gourmet in Carbondale.
- Books: This is a list of my published books, including versions available for digital download.
- Speaking Events: I've only done a few professional public speaking events, but I've done plenty of public speaking and would like to start doing more of it professionally.
- Consulting: I'd like to start doing some paid consulting work for small to mid-sized non-profits as well as "green" and "socially conscious" businesses. I have over a decade of experience working with such organizations. Much of my work has involved troubleshooting various organizational and strategic problems for cheap or free. I enjoy this work, but in order to make it sustainable, at least some of it needs to be paid work.
- Blog: You Are Here!
- Humor: Anyone who knows me personally or listens to my radio show knows that my sense of humor is at least as relentless as my dedication to activist causes. I've started my own collection of funny and thought-provoking images here.
- Green Tips: This contains a few tips on how to live a more ecologically sustainable lifestyle.
- Weddings and Handfastings: Not many people know that I'm ordained. I'm available to officiate at a variety of ceremonies, including same-sex marriages, interfaith marriages, and handfastings.
- Courses: I'm not currently teaching any courses, but this contains information on past courses and will contain information on future courses as it becomes available.
- Reading List: This is a list of some of my favorite fiction and nonfiction books. As with my Heroes section, this is just a humble start that I will add to over time. I have an account with an independent bookstore in St. Louis called Left Bank Books, so any books that you buy on this page will support an independently owned bookstore as well as my superhero work. If someone could buy a book here and email me about it so I can check and see if the links are working properly, I would appreciate it.
- Gift Shop: This contains a few fun odds and ends such as Treesong T-shirts, climate change bumper stickers, and more. This is its own website that could probably use its own overhaul, so let me know if you have suggestions for additions or changes to the product selection.
There you have it! If you get a chance to take a tour of all of the new and improved features, let me know what you think. I'm always curious to hear what people think of the site and my work as a Real Life Superhero. In the meantime, thanks for stopping by!