My Patreon Poll
I’m considering adding new member rewards and goals to my Patreon. If you like my writing and other projects, you can help me decide what rewards and goals would actually inspire you and other people to subscribe to my Patreon! Keep reading to learn more or skip to the poll to cast your vote.
Patreon is a way for you to earn rewards by subscribing to support your favorite artists.
Artists get a steady income, creative direction, and more opportunities to interact with fans. Members get exclusive or early access content, creative input, and the happiness you feel when you support your favorite artists. Everybody wins.
Most Patreon campaigns offer rewards to members. Rewards are tangible benefits you get for subscribing.
Each artist chooses what rewards to offer their members. The main reward that I offer my fans currently is early access to my poetry, short stories, and novel chapters. I only publish novels and anthologies occasionally, so my members get to see my writing months or even years before other readers. How much of this early access content my members see depends on which subscription level they choose.
Here are a few of the new member rewards that I’m considering adding to my Patreon:
- Early access to, and priority input on, my nonfiction writing (essays)
- Early access to, and priority input on, flash fiction (including input on how long it should be)
- Early access to, and priority input on, interactive fiction (your choices lead to one of several outcomes)
- Member polls to help me decide what to write about
I’m also open to other suggestions. What rewards would inspire you to become a member?
Most Patreon campaigns also set goals. Goals allow artists to offer collective rewards to all members when the goal is met.
When I reach a certain number of members, or a pass a certain threshold of Patreon income, I do what’s described in the goal. That may involve providing more content for all members. Or it may mean starting new projects that will benefit members and non-members alike.
I haven’t set a new goal for my Patreon account in a long time. For the past few years, Patreon has been a way for a handful of loyal readers and supporters to contribute to my work while receiving something in return.
I’m conducting this poll because I want my Patreon to become more than that. I want it to provide more rewards for more members. I want to earn more income in the process. I have a ton of creative projects that I genuinely believe my members will enjoy and appreciate. With our powers combined, we can make those projects happen.
Here are a few of the goals that I’m considering adding to my Patreon:
- Focusing full-time on my author and Real-Life Superhero work (which would in turn lead to more rewards for members)
- Dedicating a set number of hours per week to a specific community project (members help decide)
- Dedicating a set number of hours per week to community service in general
- Dedicating a set number of hours to developing my Climate Resource Center
- Dedicating a set number of hours to developing my Climate Fiction and Climate Nonfiction bookshops
- Creating an annual writing contest related to climate justice, Real-Life Superheroes, or Southern Illinois
- Creating an interactive fiction project featuring stories (mine and/or user submitted) with multiple plots and endings based on your choices
- Doing new seasons of the Library of Alexandria radio show to highlight the writing of Southern Illinois authors
- Replacing the Library of Alexandria show with a new show in the same time slot
I don’t have exact dollar amounts in mind yet for most of these goals. Once I’ve determined which goals my readers and social media followers like the most, I’ll set the amounts and start working toward them.
If you’re excited about one of these goals, please vote for it in the poll. It may become a reality!
I’m also open to other suggestions. What goals would inspire you to become a member?
If you like my writing and/or Real-Life Superhero work, please vote in the following poll. I’m most interested in hearing what would inspire you personally to subscribe to my Patreon. If you don’t foresee that happening, I’d like to know what you think is most likely to inspire others to subscribe.
Thanks in advance for your input! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.